Aspen Environmental Group is seeking an experienced and motivated GIS professional to work part-time to support our growing environmental practice in our four major offices in Southern California, Bay Area, and Sacramento. While initially part-time, this position could grow to full-time.
Salary: Based on Experience
Location: Telework but should be based in California
Required Education and Experience:
- 3-5 years of work experience in GIS.
- Experience in collecting spatial data and producing mapped products for publication.
- Requires Bachelor's degree in Geography, Environmental Studies, Geology, Hydrology, Biology, Computer Sciences or related field.
Qualifications for Success:
- Highly proficient with ArcGIS desktop (ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro) and web applications (ArcGIS Online, Field Maps for ArcGIS)
- Competent in creating, editing, analyzing, and managing spatial data.
- Experience with geodatabase management and design (including use of topology, subtypes, and domains).
- Cartographic skills. Experience with GPS data collection and post-processing.
- Experience with environmental and infrastructure datasets a plus.
- Exceptional detail orientation and attention to quality.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate a high level of competence and experience working with teams, clients, subcontractors, and regulatory personnel.
- Ability to take direction from multiple project managers.
- Work effectively with other GIS team members or other Aspen staff on project-specific tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex GIS issues to non-GIS staff, and to project managers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with linear infrastructure projects (transmission, pipeline, transportation, etc.), a plus.
- Familiarity and experience with demographic data.
- Experience with drones and photogrammetry, a plus.
- Willingness to conduct periodic field work for data collection, desired but not required.
- Ensure high-quality standards for project databases and map products.
- Work efficiently to stay within project budgets and meet internal project schedules.
- Respond to multiple GIS service requests that include data analysis, map production, field data collection support, and response to questions related to project-specific data/mapping.
- Work closely and effectively with a variety of project managers and project deadlines.
- Train staff on proper GPS usage and GIS practices.
Compensation. Aspen offers a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, references, and a recent (no more than one year old) map sample in which the candidate was the sole author to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must state, “GIS Specialist – [NAME]”.
Aspen is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. Aspen considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, ancestry, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, or veteran status.