Position: GIS Technician
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Start date: Immediate
Location: CSU, Northridge (CSUN) Campus
The Center for Geospatial Science and Technology at California State University, Northridge is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented GIS Technician to support Center activities. More information about the Center can be found on our website at: https://www.csun.edu/cgst.
This position requires a solid understanding of GIS and an in-depth knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop. Under general supervision of a Project Manager, the Technician is responsible for a variety of duties related to the Center’s National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) Project. Therefore, a comprehensive understanding of hydrography concepts is required. These duties may include but are not limited to engaging in data editing and data development, performing QA/QC tasks, creating maps, performing spatial analysis, documentation development, tracking and overseeing task-specific progress, and training and supervising interns. The GIS Technician will also perform other related duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in Geography OR related discipline with concentration in GIS or a GIS Certificate;
- 1+ years of related paid work experience;
- Comprehensive understanding of concepts related to GIS (i.e. map projections, data processing, data and file management, spatial analysis, topology, linear referencing, etc.);
- Experience and knowledge of hydrography-related concepts and datasets,
- Demonstrable skills in spatial data creation and editing;
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures;
- In-depth knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop and Microsoft Office Products (i.e. Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Attention to detail and a deep understanding of methods to ensure data and project integrity;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities and tasks.
- Experience and knowledge of the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD);
- Experience supervising, training, communicating with and delegating to staff;
- Experience in developing project documentation including, but not limited to: workflows; standards documentation, and progress trackers;
- Fundamental understanding of relational database design concepts;
POSITION & BENEFITS:
Salary commensurate with experience. This position is full time and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Employment is through The University Corporation (TUC).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Applicants who wish to request an accommodation for a disability may contact the Office of Equity and Diversity at (818) 677-2077.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Center for Geospatial Science and Technology
Use the subject line: GIS Technician Position